NavigationPage

Home | Map | About Us | Contact Us |

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Graceland Memphis TN

This year I finally had a chance to visit my sister who lives in Tennessee. Of course, you have to go see Graceland if you are anywhere near Memphis, it is REQUIRED! I am not an Elvis expert, but I have always greatly enjoyed his music, this song being one of my favorites as well as my parents wedding song:

Elvis: Can't help falling in love

This is another sweet love song I love

Graceland Main Sign



I had heard of Graceland before but never had seen any pictures. I did know that it was not what people expected. It certainly lived up to that! There was a television series on many years ago when I was a child, it was about the lives of the 'rich and famous' and would show you their abodes. Perhaps such shows are the reason we have such strange views on what the rich and famous should live like.

Elvis had come from a very simple childhood, born in Tupelo Mississippi and living in what they called a matchstick house. His family had moved to Memphis to try to find a better life. Graceland to me, was a reflection of those humble beginnings, in the size, quaintness and homey feel of the property. It is a peaceful place I think most anyone would enjoy living.

Here is the front of the property with me my daughter and my Mom:

Graceland Front Outside

At first I was a bit shocked. Walking in to his private residence you almost feel like an intruder to Elvis's private life. Is nothing sacred anymore? Well, guests are not allowed upstairs. It is kept the same way up there as it was when he had passed. That made me feel a bit better about stomping around in his home with dozens of other visitors.

Here is the first you room you see when you enter on the right hand side, the formal living room:

Graceland Formal Living Room

It is so tastefully done. The piano there is one Elvis had played on, and the couches are ones he had used.

Graceland White Couch

The windows behind the famous white couch are the ones that are in front of the house on the first floor.

Graceland Elvis Picture

A picture of Elvis is on the wall of this room. Below is the formal dining room:

Graceland Formal Dining Room

Next is the kitchen. A homey room that Elvis and friends and family cooked many meals together and shared many good times. The room looks well loved:

Graceland Kitchen

From there the next room is the jungle room, where many jam sessions and hangouts were held:

Graceland Jungle Room

Below in his basement is one of Elvis's favorite rooms. He had three TV's installed and would watch three channels at once! That is one of the top luxuries he had at Graceland:

Graceland TV Room

As for a beautiful example of how untouched many things are, here is a tear in the pool table made by one of Elvis's friends while they were playing pool (in the upper right corner):

Graceland pool table tear

The back of the house is quite nice as well, and here I stood for a few moments imaging Elvis upstairs in his bedroom looking out the window:

Graceland back of house

Once you are out side the mansion there are a few neat things to see. The most touching was the swing set his daughter played on as a child:

Graceland swing set

Also to add to the serenity of the yard, are horses grazing in the grass surrounding Graceland. Elvis had horses as well when he lived here:

Graceland Horses

And a swimming pool that looks so inviting.

Graceland Pool

The best part of this visit was being able to imagine Elvis living here, walking around in the rooms, sitting in the chairs, doing simple things like opening the fridge. There is something profound about the spaces we choose to live in. How do these places shape us, and how do we in turn choose to shape them? You always gain a better understanding of someone after seeing where and how they live, and this is exactly how I now feel about Elvis. Not to mention, I would not mind spending my days in such a peaceful and inviting home!

No comments:

Post a Comment